Sunday, October 18, 2009

Week eight from Mexico

This has been a week of learning for me. Not in Spanish but in humility. On Friday we had a group come from the San Pedro suburb area of Monterrey. They were English speaking members and we were doing an English endowment session for them. The Spanish speaking members attending the session were given headphones. Lynn and I were officiating and it was wonderful to hear it in English as usually when we officiate a session it's in Spanish and I only understand a small part of what is said only because I've heard it so many times before in English. I was looking forward to helping with this session all week because I knew this was one that I could really be of help. I knew it really well in English, just not in Spanish. We expected to get a good size group and they had the Spencer's (he's the mission doctor and his wife, who are set-apart temple workers) come in besides having President and Sister Hall come in even though it wasn't their shift to work, so we had lots of help. As it turned out we didn't get as large a group as expected and the coordinator, Hermana Zavara (I think that's her name), didn't realize that I knew it in English and just used Sis. Spencer and Sis. Hall because they can do it both in English and Spanish. I was so disappointed that it was all I could do to not cry until it was over and I hurried to the restroom. So there I was in the restroom crying and Hermana Zavara in the locker room crying because she felt that she had done something to upset me but not sure what. Sis. Spencer talked to me to find out why I was upset and explained to Hermana Zavara. I told her it was OK. I knew she didn't mean to do anything to hurt me, I was just disappointed and we gave each other a hug. It's been so hard as I struggle to be of help here. Most of the time I feel like they just try to find things for me to do. A lot of the time it's just “get the cards and study”. As those of you who know me well know that I have always been one to step in and do what needs to be done. I'm a “take charge” kind of person. So, here's the lesson I'm learning: We aren't down here for what I have to offer as much as what Lynn is needed for. They need a lot more men than women to run a small temple. In a pinch they can get by here with four women but they need at least eleven men, if they do all ordinances at the same time, less if they don't. I'm learning how to be a quiet helper. I still try to do the little things I know that need to be done, like emptying the garbage, helping in the laundry, wiping the mirrors each time I'm in the bathroom, etc. I'm learning that I can be of service without doing things my way.

Monday we had the FHE group at our house and Lynn gave the lesson. We just had ice cream and Oreos because I haven't ventured into using our oven yet and don't have a lot of the ingredients for making much more than basic dinners. Our stove is gas that we have to light with a match and I'm not sure how to light the oven. I could ask the landlord but we figured if I don't use the oven then we won't have to clean it and the microwave and stove have worked great for everything we've needed so far. One thing I found out Monday, as we were visiting, is that Sis. Spencer is really into doing family history. She mentioned one of Elder Spencer's lines that she has worked on, the Vance line. I said I had Vance lines, too. I pulled out my pedigree chart and showed it to her. I found out that Elder Spencer and I have a common ancestor through my 3rd great-grandfather, Lewis Reno Vance. She was telling some stories about the family that I hadn't heard. She said that when she gets back to Utah she can give me some of the information that I don't have. She evidently doesn't have it here.

Another coincidence that I found out is that Kaleb's wife, Sarah, is related to Elder Hancock, the couple that we visited with on conference Sunday. They both are related to Thomas Hancock who was in Nauvoo, she is through Alvah and he is through Solomon, I think it was.

We finally got the car fixed on Friday. We had to leave it over night so we had Hermano Ramirez, who drives a taxi and is one of the temple workers, take us to the temple. It only cost 21 pesos, which is about $1.60. We gave him 30 pesos because we thought it was such a great deal. It would cost us a lot more than that to take the bus at home and this was from our door right to the temple. Couldn't be much better than that. We've been tempted to use the taxi more often, as driving in Mexico is so stressful. I won't even try yet. Lynn does all the driving.

I don't think I've told you about my first shower here. When I got into the shower I couldn't get any hot water. I thought, “Oh great, don't tell me I have to take cold showers for the next two years”. When Lynn asked the landlord about it he said that their hot water heater went out and they replaced it with one of those that gives hot water on demand, you just have to let the water run for a while and then you have it hot. So, I usually let it run for about 5 minutes and then have my hot water. Washing hands is usually with cold water because it takes too long. Lynn even does most of the dishes with cold water unless I put some on the stove to heat while we eat our meal. It takes some getting used to.

Today in church they asked me to give the closing prayer in Relief Society and even let me do it in English. I was grateful for the opportunity to participate. That's one of the things that is hard for me. I'm used to being able to share thoughts and such during lessons in both Sunday School and Relief Society and I haven't been able to do that here yet because I'm not sure what is even being talked about let alone be able to communicate any thoughts. One thing that helps me get through Relief Society is I take my English Joseph Smith manual and read it while they talk about the lesson so at least I know what they are talking about even if I can't participate. I am making progress though because I'm recognizing more and more of the words here and there.

Well, I guess that's it for this week. We hope all is well with you and your family. We would love to hear from you if you have a chance to drop us a line or two.

Love, Elder & Hermana Nelson (aka Lynn & JaAnna, Mom & Dad, or Grandma and Grandpa)


No comments: