I had some milestones this week. First, on Monday we had Thanksgiving dinner with our FHE (Family Home Evening) group along with some friends, including President Romney (president of the Monterrey West Mission), his wife and daughter and also including the Shaklee's and Spencer's landlord and his wife. It was a wondering evening with good food. At the end we all shared what we were thankful for. I did mine in Spanish and everyone thought I did a great job and said that I'm making great progress.
My second milestone was today during Fast meeting. I gave my testimony in Spanish, not perfect and I read it and I was shaking and crying through it all but I felt like I wanted to share my feelings with the members. They said I did great, and several gave me a big hug. These members here are just great. I'm loving them so much and appreciate the love the show to me.
Lynn has developed a hernia. We called the insurance on Monday to get it pre-authorized and Lynn went to the doctor on Wednesday. The doctor is one that was recommended by Dr. Spencer, the mission doctor, and he has done a few surgeries for Elders here with hernia problems and appendicitis recently. He speaks very good English and seems to know what he's doing. They are going to schedule him for surgery on Dec. 21st. That will be at the beginning of our Christmas break at the temple so he will have two weeks to recuperate. We will have to pay up front for the doctor and hospital, which will be about $4000, and then the insurance will reimburse us for their portion, 80% after the deductible. That kind of puts a damper on our plans for Christmas break. We were thinking of doing a little bit of touring in Mexico but we'll have to see how he feels the second week.
Friday I had a visit with my visiting teachers, Sis. Hall and Sis. Pratt. They both speak English and it was a great visit. I've already told you about Sis. Hall. Sis. Pratt has been here in Mexico with her husband and daughter for about 2 ½ years. He works at the University as an Olympic track coach. He is originally from the Mormon colonies in northern Mexico. They lived there for a few years and have lived in Saudia Arabia, also as an Olympic track coach. All their children live in Provo except their youngest who is here with them. It was so nice to have visiting teachers again. I've missed it the last few months.
After church today we had a very pleasant dinner and visit with the Hall's in their warm apartment. Ours has been very cold this last week. We've had a cold front move through that has everyone bundled up like at home in Utah. Even though it's only been in the 40's it feels a lot colder because of the humidity, which has been in the 70's. Our apartment does not heat up very well. We bought a space heater and then a radiator. The space heater works well with just one room but the radiator isn't working very well with the rest of the apartment. It has high ceilings and no insulation so the warmth just doesn't stay. We might have to buy another to help heat things up. They say they had a very hard summer which usually means they will have an equally hard winter. Not looking forward to it. That probably sounds really wimpy to our friends, the John's and the Sartori's serving missions in Russia with their below 0 temperatures. The water has become very cold right now and the on-demand water heater that our landlords have here just doesn't heat up the water very much. Our showers are now with very lukewarm water. Thanks Jarom and Michele for the sweaters you gave me a couple of years ago. I'm putting them to good use.
No comments:
Post a Comment