Sunday, May 16, 2010

Week 38 from Mexico


16 May 2010

¡Hola!  ¿Cómo esta?  ¿Qué hay de nuevo?

It's been another great week.  This was the first week at the temple for President Perales and his wife. Things went fairly smoothly with just a little glitch here and there.  Even though they have served in a previous temple presidency a few years ago they are still needing to adjust to the way things are done in this temple.  Because he has been serving as a temple sealer and she assisting him they haven't really been involved in any of the other functions of the temple. I spent a little time in the lavaderia showing Hermana Perales how we fold the towels and clothing.  We do things a little different here then she was use to and she was willing to learn, watching and asking questions.  They are a very sweet and lovely couple and I'm going to enjoy getting to know them and working under them.

Monday we had a great barbecue with our FHE group. Ricardo's steaks were again very delicious and it was hard not to eat too much.  It was also a celebration of mother's day, as Monday is the official Mother's day in Mexico. It is always celebrated on May 10th,  not on the second Sunday of May as in the United States.  Maricarmen made us all corsages and gave each of us a rose from the bouquet that her daughter had given her. She is such a sweet lady. I've really enjoyed getting to know her.   I'll send a link to the Picasa web album of the pictures I took.

This next Tuesday Elder Bednar from the Quorum of the Twelve will be meeting with the missionaries from the Monterrey East and Monterrey West missions.  The president of the East mission has asked that the missionaries from his mission, that are serving outside of the Monterrey area, have an opportunity to attend the temple. They don't get opportunities to attend the temple like the ones in the Monterrey West and those in the East mission that serve closer in get to do on alternating Wednesday mornings.  They have about 80 missionaries that want to attend so they are doing it in two groups after their meeting with Elder Bednar.  They are going to do a 10:30am and 12:30pm session. This means that the temple will be open in the early afternoon when it is usually closed. They have asked Lynn and I to be there to help, so it will be an extra long day for us.

This week was a little unusual in the fact that we had a couple of very busy nights but our Saturday was again slow like last week, with the exception of youth groups doing baptisms.  Wednesday was especially busy this week because our stake relief society from the Roma Stake had a special temple day and then met for refreshments after. I actually got to attend. I went on the session and then went over to the stake center to meet with the sisters.  Usually their activities are in the evenings, when Lynn & I are at the temple so I don't get to attend very many of their functions, so it was nice to be able to do so for a change.  We had so many sisters from our stake relief society that there were several who weren't able to get into the session.  That night was also very busy, especially with youth groups.  We had about 60 youths, way more than can be handled, so they had long, long waits.

This evening the temple presidency had a special meeting with all the coordinators and trainers.  This included Lynn. So, while he was in his meeting I went to choir practice and then waited for him until he was through.

Well, I guess that's it for this week.  Hard to believe we've been here over eight months. The time is slipping by so fast.

God bless,
Elder & Hermana Nelson (aka Lynn & JaAnna, Dad & Mom, Grandpa & Grandma)

No comments: