Monday, June 14, 2010

Week 42 from Mexico

14 June 2010

Hola!  ¿Cómo esta?  ¿Qué hay de nuevo?

Sorry, this is a day late. I got busy doing some family history research on the Internet and forgot to do the letter.  Family history research tends to do that to me.  I get so involved that I forget other things.

It's been a fairly routine, quiet week this last week, as far as our activities. Attendance at the temple has been fairly light partly because of the World Cup Soccer Championship Playoffs being played in South Africa.  Mexico sent a team to represent them and there's been a lot of excitement about it.

Monday's FHE group was at the Hall's but Lynn & I were in charge. I gave the lesson. We met there because it's too hard for Elder Neil to negotiate our stairs because of his multiple sclerosis. We won't be meeting tonight because the ward is having a Ward FHE at the church as a farewell party for the Cantu's.  They will be leaving next week to go to the MTC in Provo, Utah for their one week training in preparation for serving as Mission President.  They are truly going to be missed here.  They are such a wonderful family.  I'm so glad they decided to hold it on Monday because we usually don't get to attend these ward functions when they are held on other days because of our schedule at the temple.

On Saturday we had a small group come from a city a little over half between here and Mexico City. The Mexico City temple has been closed for the last two weeks.  They had to travel over seven hours in a small bus to get here, arriving about 6:30am, were here for the whole day and had to go another seven hours to return home.  There was a couple who were part of this group who were sealed together. She is about eight months pregnant. It was a very special day for them even though it was a great sacrifice to come. I can only imagine how uncomfortable that young mother must have been during that long trip.

Yesterday afternoon we had our first visit from home teachers, President Hall and Hermano Herrera, since arriving here in Mexico.  They were just recently assigned. We had others assigned before but, because of conflicts with our schedule at the temple, they had a hard time getting a visit in.  It was a very pleasant visit.  It was nice to have them visit. I've missed having home teacher visits while we've been here, even though I've been getting regular visits from visiting teachers.

Yesterday in church Hermana Santos, Cynthia's grandmother, asked us to pray for her 23 year old grandson, who was kidnapped about month ago and, even though they paid a ransom, has not been returned.  I feel so sad for the family.  It must be a very hard thing to go through.  I didn't even know about it. Cynthia never mentioned it. I'll have to ask her about it today when she comes for our daily language lessons.

Well, I guess that' it for this week.  This next week I'll have lots of pictures. I plan on taking a bunch at the party tonight.

Amamos a ustedes

No comments: