Sunday, September 19, 2010

Week 56 from Mexico

19 Sept. 2010

Hola!  ¿Cómo esta?  ¿Qué hay de nuevo?

This has been an interesting week.  Thursday was the day of the Mexican celebration of the 200th anniversary of their independence from Spain and Wednesday and Friday were also included in days that government offices and schools were closed.  As a result we had greatly increased attendance at the temple.  It was like having three or four Saturdays in a row. Wednesday night wasn't too busy but in the morning they had four buses and over 70 patrons, not counting the youth that came. Both Thursday and Friday night were packed. Friday night we had over 70 youth doing baptisms and close to that number on Thursday and both sessions each night were full to over-flowing.  Saturday was the usual very busy Saturday as well, with many sealings and youth groups and packed sessions.  It was a good way for them to celebrate. I worked in the laundry room all three days. It was a challenge to keep up with the laundry.  The idea of them bringing their own clothes hasn't caught on yet, but there were a few that did and it helped.  We put to good use the large capacity washer and dryer that has to be kept in the outside shed because they can't go through the doors of the temple.  It's kind of a pain to have to take the clothes all the way out to them but they're good to have in emergencies when we have more than can be handled with the machines in the laundry room.

We were excited to learn this last week that our son, Jarom, and his wife are expecting their fifth child in April.  With Kaleb and Sarah's due in February that will be three new grandchildren arriving to our family by the time we return home next July and will bring our total grandchildren to thirty-two.  We are thankful that our newest granddaughter, Julie, Joel and Joy's baby, born the end of July, is doing well and is now home with her family to be pampered and spoiled by her five older brothers.

I've had a few conversations [well, actually maybe conversation isn't the right word, it's more like pantomime or one or two word guessing at what the other is trying to say] with Sis. Lopez about how hard it is for her to learn English. She speaks about as much English as I do Spanish. She and her husband are the coordinators on Wednesday nights and he was just recently called as the new northern area medical advisor for the missions here in Mexico, taking the place of Elder Spencer, who left in May.  She has been taking a class to learn how to speak English and has told me, in her limited English, how frustrated she was in learning English.  I sympathized with her completely.  One day she said that the young students hardly study, pass the tests, get good grades and are learning to speak English but she studies and studies and just can't get it. I'll be the first to admit that English is a lot harder to learn than Spanish but I still struggle.  This last Wednesday night, Sis. Lopez, the coordinator came to the laundry room where I was working.  She made reference to Jonah and the big fish and his call and unwillingness to go to the people of Nineveh and preach.  She said that if she were called to go on a mission to the United States she would be like Jonah and wouldn't go.  She said that I was not a Jonah because I was here in Mexico even though I didn't speak Spanish, I was willing to come. I considered that a great compliment.  She shows me great love and I have come to love her as well.

Well, I guess there's not much to report.  Hope you have a great week.

Amamos a ustedes,
Elder & Hermana Nelson (aka Lynn & JaAnna, Dad & Mom, Grandpa & Grandma)

No comments: